Thursday, September 13, 2007

Innherently lazy noise filters

I've been working my new job for about a month now and it turns out "prospecting" is just a synonym for telemarketing. This is not all bad news though. The company I work for is young and small, as far as companies go, and everyone seems to be under 30. This makes for a nice environment, even if the work is not Christmas.

My job concists of tracking down phone numbers of people who have ugly or old websites, working out who is in charge of the website, calling them, convincing them try a demo of our cheaper better system (I make my job easier by only calling people if I genuinly think we can makes their lives better). So I don't actually sell anything myself per se.

It is amazing how hard it is to give away free websites.

As you can probably guess, people are numb to strangers on the phone. To them, I am the equivalent of a billboard on the side of the road that they glance at and quickly ignore, except I'm talking to them, so they have to work out how to hang up on me as quickly as possible. This is exactly why humans do so well; we are noise filtering machines, we don't have energy to pay attention to everything. Most stuff we run into is irrelevant to us. Also, most of us are inherently lazy, and subconsciously run on the knowledge that avoiding new things seldom leads to trouble. I counter these obstacles by cunningly only asking "how" questions (you can't give a one word answer to a "how" question). Also, I find out there name, and use it a lot like we're old friends. Also I get their email address before I propose anything. My boss says "you'd only give your email to someone if they were your friend". Once we have established the friendship, I let them know I'm going to do a favour in the form of setting up a free website for them. I make 6 friends each day, who I never speak to again.

It turns out people from the auto industry are generally the friendliest to talk to. People who own pet stores are generally the rudest and the most hostile to "them internets".

It has taken me about 3 weeks to stop taking no for an answer. I was so timid and took everything so personally at the start, but lately it feels more like a game.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gather filtering is an age thing too - we filter more as we get older. This might explain the pet store owner thing. You should try giving free websites to kids. :-)

JEckersley said...

LOVE the billboard MAtt!!! I want one too!

llamacal said...

I am extra friendly when telemarketers call. I tell them what I'm wearing, that I can smell them down the phone and accompany this with the conspicuous sound of sniffing, followed by sighing etc.

They seem to appreciate it. Strangely, I never get sold anything...