Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Belyea Bunch

In Vancouver Alana got to meet Mum's side of the family:


There were a lot of us the last time we met up in 1997, and the bad news for the world is that the clan seems to be expanded (in my cast not so much vertically as horizontally). Exhibit A: For the first half hour the whole thing was really quite overwhelming. For me, my extended family are kind of similar to fictional characters; I know their names, I know what they look like, I know what they've been doing, but I really haven't met them much. I cannot imagine what that must have been like for Alana.

As it turned out, Alana must have got her hands on some CliffsNotes or something, because she seemed to know everyone as well as I did. In fact, I think she might have had a better time than I did. Exhibit B: It turns out my family is filled with friendly, talented and interesting people. Almost all of my relatives are involved with some kind of artistic or design orientated career/study (exhibit C, D and E). As well as artistic stuff, one of my cousins is a game tester for Electronic Arts (totally sweet). I mentioned in an earlier post, Mike is a host for VIPs at LA clubs. Another cousin is an expert in indigenous rights in law.

I also found my long lost cousin/sister Vic:Awesome.


After the reunion was over, Alana and I stayed on in Vancouver. We spend a night with Dad's brother Fred and his partner Diane. Fred had the same twinkle in his eye as my dad does, same humour, same hand gestures.

Fred and Diane took us up Grouse Mountain where Alana got to cross her number one task of her list:These grizzly bears live in a habitat enclosed with just the number-8 wire in the photo, and an electric fence at waist height. Grizzlies can open heads like coke cans and some think could beat a mako shark in a fight.

No comments: