Friday, July 6, 2007

Night terrors: Funniest story of the trip and everyone's chance to think less of me as a human being

So we rendezvoused with my family in San Francisco, and ended up sharing a room with my brother Nic. Mum, Dad and Nic were jet-lagged, so were sleeping at different times to us. One night, Alana and I were sound asleep, while Nic politely watched TV in the neighbouring lounge, as to not disturb us. As we had gone to sleep, Alana and I had both realised we had forgotten to lock the deadbolt, but gone to sleep nonetheless. The hotel we were at was themed (I think the theme was "arty"), and had murals all over the walls (they looked a bit like linear vomiting, and would have given you nightmares if you were a child).

Okay, so, scene set: Matt and Alana asleep, Nic not asleep. Weird room. Door not locked.

Nic quietly sneaks into the room at 3am for bed. The door to the bedroom is about 50cm from the foot of our bed (for those of you who have not met Nic, he is big).

Apparently, Alana was awoken by this. By Nic's account "she sat up in bed and started screaming". Poor Nic's attempts to reassure her, were drowned out by her screaming. One would guess an adult screaming is easily enough to wake the neighbours on both sides, as well as those above and below.

I am awoken to Alana screaming, the silhouette of a large man, and I panic. I start screaming. By Nic's account my screaming "was much louder and higher pitched". The screaming lasted "a very long time" but also was followed by a bout of all of us in hysterics.

Can you imagine being woken to two people screaming in the middle of the night? Absolute madness. As a side note, no one did come knocking to see if we were okay.

No comments: